Why children in vulnerable situations find it hard to study?
Among the main difficulties of children in going to school are the following:
1. Children’s difficult background and special needs
Most of the children under Virlanie’s care have educational delays mostly prior to their admission to Virlanie, because they didn’t have access to school, or they drop out and/or they lack proper guidance mainly due to poverty. This results in lack of self-confidence and social exclusion and eventual loss of their love for learning. There are also children who have special needs who couldn’t be catered to in special education centers because of their severe condition.
2. Status of Philippine public school
Because most of our children have learning delays, they need proper guidance from their teachers, but because of 1:45 teacher to student ratio in public schools, this need could not be met. The teachers also do not have appropriate and timely training to handle the diverse dynamics and personalities of the students.
Send your support while you still have time!
How you can help every child learn
Virlanie works towards bridging the educational gaps that our children are facing through Education Programs such as Magellan Learning Center, Special Education, and SiBuHi Center for Creativity and Development.
With your help, we can continue providing children’s educational needs that couldn’t be met in formal schools. We know that you are with us in believing that they too, deserve to be educated. Help every child learn.
Fund 1 read-and-write session for 1 child
- Children 8 years old and above need to receive one-on-one basic literacy lessons to keep up with their classmates and meet the academic demands at school.
Help 1 child access 1 extra curricular activity
- You can support children’s talent in visual arts, performance arts or in sports. This way, they can rebuild their confidence and become more aware of their capacities.
Support 1 child with special needs' lesson
- Children with special needs who have severe conditions that formal schools couldn’t handle. They are then given in-house special education classes and occupational therapy sessions.
Send us a message and we’ll reply within 24 hours.
Virlanie Foundation is a private, non-profit organization reaching out to street children in the Philippines. Virlanie cares for children in need of special protection—those who are abandoned, abused, exploited, neglected, orphaned, and among the poorest of the poor.